Do you need help with your thesis, research proposal or dissertation?

Let us help YOU!

Contact us thru:
Whatsapp WeChat
Link Viber
+639150423051

or email us at
ivythesis@gmail.com

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Book Review: ‘The Weight of Water’ by Anita Shreve

This book has two parallel time frames happening simultaneously, one is the present, the other, 100 years ago, with everything happening in the same place - a place which is desolate, cold, and forbidding but has easy access to the riches of the sea.


What made me read on? What happened 100 years ago is the more interesting part of the story. I guess, it’s just me. My curiosity as to how people lived before has always been high and a good part of the book describes an America, during the time when immigrants from Europe were arriving, searching for a better life in the New World.


Interesting tidbits in the book: The book will also transport you to Norway and will present to you the ‘before’ section of the book and why the main characters had to make that fateful voyage to a land which will be the setting of the greatest tragedy in their lives.


The Pacing: Since the writer had to write the way people then used to speak, a good portion of the book is written in very polite, very formal English. I always find the pacing of the first 30 pages of any of her books a bit slow, but just like a wave, it pushes you through a fascinating denouement.


The Best Part: The ending - and there are two - one in the present and one in the past!! The present ending is a tearjerker. The past ending is a bit shocking because I too was caught offguard by it. That’s why I was so happy and contented when I finished the book I love it when books throw me off the scent. But don’t be fooled - tragedies abound in this book – so this read will not exactly put a smile on your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment