Do you need help with your thesis, research proposal or dissertation?

Let us help YOU!

Contact us thru:
Whatsapp WeChat
Link Viber
+639150423051

or email us at
ivythesis@gmail.com

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Role Models: Julia Roberts' Character in Pretty Woman

I was watching one scene in Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino and the Hmong girl's character was thanking Clint's character for being a role model to her younger brother.  That got me thinking of who were my role models while I was growing up.  I came up with this list of five wonderful female celebrities who I've used as my inspiration and role models. 

* Julia Robert's character in Pretty Woman


In this unforgettable 1990's comedy, Julia plays the role of a hooker with a golden heart.  She became one of my first clear role models because I saw, that despite her profession, she chose to take control of her life, to run it the way she wanted it. 

Why was that important to me?

Well, because in the 1990s, I was still debating whether to come out as a gay man or pretend to be straight and just get married, like everyone else. After I saw this movie, I knew I had to live my life the way I want it.  As her character says, "I say who, I say when,...I say who...". 

Also, in one key scene, she gets mad at Richard Gere's character because he tells his friend that she was a hooker.  She says, "Why did you dress me up?  If I were in my trashy clothes, I would have been able to fight back."  It got me thinking, if I pretend to be straight, and get a girlfriend, the rumours and the gossip around me will never stop!! If I just come out as gay, if someone taunts me, I can fight him or her better, since I'm not hiding anything.  So I decided to just come out.  So that's why this hooker with a golden heart is the most important role model in my life. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment