Do you need help with your thesis, research proposal or dissertation?

Let us help YOU!

Contact us thru:
Whatsapp WeChat
Link Viber
+639150423051

or email us at
ivythesis@gmail.com

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Meryl Streep: Solid As The Iron Lady

It's a pity that this film was not released here.  I'm sure Meryl Streep's star power alone could've helped the film achieve a bit of box-office success here since Filipinos are familiar with her body of work, but I guess no local producer thought so.  

Anyway, we watched this film on a DVD copy and we watched it along with Mama.  I was a bit irritated that the director decided to anchor the movie on Thatcher's dementia.  It was often used in many scenes as a prelude to a big scene of the younger, active Thatcher.  That it was done again and again made it seem like a broken record, at least to me.  I mean, yes we get it, she is old now and suffering from a debilitating disease, but should it be shown again and again?

There are several choice scenes here though which show why Meryl Streep got the Oscar - and of course, deservedly so.  The ones I like include the one where she declares war against Argentina,  and those meetings she has with her Cabinet, who were all men - mind you!  What is fascinating in the movie is that you don't really see Meryl Streep here - you see Thatcher and the superb actress just disappears into the role.

Meryl's make-up is just impeccable.  They got it just right.  Even the clothes - I loved it!.  Very prim and proper - very British.  I just wish they'd shown more of her achievements and her faults as a leader.  Since I was still a kid when she rose into prominence, I don't really remember much except that she led Britain in the Falkland's War.  Otherwise, most of her other achievements are vague to me - something that the movie could've shed light on.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment