Do you need help with your thesis, research proposal or dissertation?

Let us help YOU!

Contact us thru:
Whatsapp WeChat
Link Viber
+639150423051

or email us at
ivythesis@gmail.com

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Theatre Review: "In The Heights" Not So Farfetched from the Pinoy American Dream!









I didn't know that I would put my Spanish language skills into use while watching In the Heights - a Tony award winning play whose main characters are immigrants from the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. I think 20% of the musical was either sung or spoken in Spanish. Even the voice over during the break and before the show began, was in Spanish! "Descanso por quinze minutos!" "Que calor" "Amame, besame, llamame" - anyone with a basic working knowledge of Spanish would certainly appreciate the musical and now I know I can confidently interact with Latinos based in New York - although as the musical states - even Dominican and Puerto Rican Spanish have major differences! My friends who work in Spanish language call centers would know that best.

Anyhow, it was great to see Jackie Lou Blanco and Calvin Millado on stage again! They both did wonderful turns as a couple whose daughter was undergoing a personal crisis. Also, it was a welcome sight to see Nyoy Volante rap - and he can rap really well! He's a natural! So don't be fooled by all the acoustic music he has limited himself on doing. He can actually do much more than sing a forlorn love song! And he can act too - since he's actually played Usnavi, the lead character of the musical.

Felix Rivera and Ima Castro are wonderful and excellent as always. However, the revelation in the musical for me is the girl who played Nina and her name is K-La Rivera. It's the first time I've seen her in any of the local musicals and she's quite refreshing to watch - a pretty face with a damn pretty voice too!

My favorite sequences was the part where they dance the salsa and the merengue, what else! Nothing like energetic Latin dancing to celebrate life!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, thank you so much for being there and for writing about the show. If you loved In the Heights, come and see Next to Normal. Watch on October 14, 8pm coz that's my showdate. Support me! :) Just email me at ticketactors@gmail.com for tickets.

    ReplyDelete