Do you need help with your thesis, research proposal or dissertation?

Let us help YOU!

Contact us thru:
Whatsapp WeChat
Link Viber
+639150423051

or email us at
ivythesis@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Movie Review: 'The Beaver' - Depression is Never Easy to Portray Onscreen


Well, having Mel Gibson and the theme of depression in one movie would really be a hard sell for any Hollywood movie producer so I am not surprised why this movie did not catch on very well with many people - which is a pity, really, since if you take out Mel Gibson's rant history away from it, it is quite a touching movie about a guy dealing with depression and how his family is coping with it.

I have always been a fan of Mel ever since his Mad Max days way back in the 80s so I make it a point to watch whatever he releases.  Yes, I did watch Edge of Darkness (and liked it too!).  However, interestingly, the two main characters that really draw me into this movie, (it's not even the beaver!), are Anton Yelchin and Jennifer Lawrence!  They're not only cute and hot, they can also act!  I won't be surprised to see more of them in the future.  In fact, if they are the future of Hollywood, then the future looks exciting!

As for the movie, well, the father-son relationship was what touched me most!  Anton's character is so much like me when I was his age.  (That will be in another blog article).  I still need a psychologist to explain to me the plausibility of what was happening to Mel Gibson's character.  Is that like borderline schizophrenia?

This movie is a good foil from all the noisy summer movies.  It's well-acted, well-written and you might see some of your life in it.  The theme is dark and sad but like any Hollywood movie, it ends up hopeful.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment