Do you need help with your thesis, research proposal or dissertation?

Let us help YOU!

Contact us thru:
Whatsapp WeChat
Link Viber
+639150423051

or email us at
ivythesis@gmail.com

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Movie Review: The Ravishing Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine

Although Cate Blanchett's character in Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine is heading towards a downward spiral, I couldn't help but gush at how regal and tall and beautiful Cate was in the movie (even though she had a lot of breakdown scenes!) and how sleek and sophisticated her character's fashion sense was.  If I were a woman, that is exactly how I would dress up - understated but very elegant and sophisticated- but of course, I would have to have Cate's really slim and tall physique to pull it off!

What I like about this Allen creation is that unlike most movie heroines, she is as flawed like the rest of us and even though she tries her best to regain her footing after her free fall from the top, it is precisely those faults that hinder her from coming dangerously close to a full blown nervous breakdown.

While I was watching the movie, I told myself that this could have been easily a Forbes Park wife of a corrupt government official, who finds herself losing everything after her husband gets caught!  It actually reminded me of Napoles sans the glamour and beauty of Blanchett's A-star wattage - but the gist of the story remains.  These are bad people who did bad things to ordinary people - people who just looked away when the stealing was happening!

This is also the most Filipino-like movie made by Woody Allen!  The concept of family and the constant battle between the have and have-nots made me really wonder why a movie like this has not yet been made for local consumption! Iza Calzado or Angel Aquino could easily essay the role since it really has to be a classy lady on a free fall.  I was actually thinking of Hilda Koronel in her younger days.  She would've been perfect for this role.  Less histrionics, that steely resolve not to show one's wounds even though one is hurting so much.

I also loved the fact that Sally Hawkins, Louis C.K and Andrew Dice Clay were given meaty roles in this movie, even though their roles were smaller.  Andrew Dice Clay can act!  Unbelievable!! Even Louis C.K. had to play a cad here and I think he did a good job in it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment