Do you need help with your thesis, research proposal or dissertation?

Let us help YOU!

Contact us thru:
Whatsapp WeChat
Link Viber
+639150423051

or email us at
ivythesis@gmail.com

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Care Divas Encore!

When I told my bff Mabel about the play Care Divas, she wanted to see it!  Unfortunately, when I told her about it, it was also the last weekend of the musical.  However, last week, one of PETA's marketing guys texted me and said that they were doing an extra weekend this past weekend - and asked if I wanted to buy some tickets.  I immediately said yes, and last Saturday afternoon, I accompanied Mabel to see this really funny yet issues-charged musical.

The truth is, don't let all that glitter in their costumes and their acerbic gayspeak distract you from the real issues the musical is addressing.  There are actually two points of view being examined in the story.  The situation of our OFWs in Israel, and how the Israelis themselves are coping with having to live in a region surrounded by their 'enemies'!  Mabel even commented that the writer really knew what he was writing about since nothing in the script was phony.  The writer knew details which only someone who actually worked in Israel would know, since some parts of the script were in Hebrew!  One of my favorite scenes was between the son and his Mom who was allowing one of the Filipinos to work illegally in their house.  The son felt ashamed that his mother was using people - in this case, Palestinians and Filipinos - without paying them proper wages.  Now that is a STATEMENT, if there was one.

Anyway, although the themes were heavy, five gay caregivers can put fluff and feathers and wrap it around the iron-clad themes of OFW abuse and the treatment of gay workers in Israel.  I did have a grand time again, and actually bought the cast recording.  There are some songs there that I actually like.  I wouldn't be surprised if PETA restages this musical again and again.  The show I went too was full!






No comments:

Post a Comment