Do you need help with your thesis, research proposal or dissertation?

Let us help YOU!

Contact us thru:
Whatsapp WeChat
Link Viber
+639150423051

or email us at
ivythesis@gmail.com

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Things A Job Applicant Should Know - From the Point of View of an Employer

Our major newspapers all have a section on Recruitment and Jobs, articles which discuss how a fresh graduate -or any graduate for that matter, can snag his or her dream job.    I chanced upon an article today, entitled, "Seven Ways to Improve Your Chance of Getting Hired Today" by Ruben Anlacan Jr. and it got me thinking, ok, I myself am an employer, how do I hire my own people.

Well, I have been hiring employees for almost for more than 20 years now and based on my experiences, here are the reasons why I am going to hire you -

#1 good grasp of English grammar - since our work is on research and writing, the applicants' English grammar should be understood and grammatical errors should be at a minimum

#2 shows initiative and determination - I dislike people who always asks for help, who never tries to figure out something by themselves.  I also don't like employees who give up easily on a task. 

#3  Taong nangunguwenta -  I had to write this down in Tagalog since I could not think of an English word equivalent - it just means a person who feels he or she is deprived if she has to do more work or if she exceeds her time in the office by a few minutes
 

#4 An employee who's always looking for something that is not there.  Not all companies are equal and can offer certain services.  I remember an employee asking why we did not have a clinic or a nurse?  Well, we are not a factory so there is no danger of you cutting your hand or something like that.  I immediately fired her for being an idiot.



#5  A person who cannot think on his own.  If I have to make all your decisions for you, then you have to go.  Just make a decision.  If it's wrong, I will tell you why, if it's right, then you used your instincts well.  Don't be indecisive.


#6  Respect your officemates.  Yes, there will be some form of hierarchy and since you're the new guy, alamin mo ang lugar mo.  Wag masyadong mayabang.

#7  I hate getting no for an answer.  I prefer that you say yes to my queries.  I love employees who are resourceful and think on their feet.  This is not a perfect world but there is a solution to every problem.  So figure it out.  If I have to do your job for you, then I might as well fire you.





#8 Respect office hours.  I am very lax when it comes to this, but I like employees who have the discipline to do their work with minimum supervision.  You are not in pre-school anymore so I don't have to constantly watch over your shoulder.  You know your job and you know its deadline.  Don't let me come to you and ask for your work.  Send it to my e-mail before you go home.  If it's not finished, have the decency to tell me why.  I hate being left in the dark.


Oh well, this is such an impromptu article  but these are the things that came from the top of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment