Do you need help with your thesis, research proposal or dissertation?

Let us help YOU!

Contact us thru:
Whatsapp WeChat
Link Viber
+639150423051

or email us at
ivythesis@gmail.com

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Movie Review: If Philosophy Were A Movie, It'd Be The Tree of Life



I remember falling asleep when I watched Terrence Mallick's The Thin Red Line way back in college.  What I also remember though was how beautifully shot it was!  It was like I was walking in a dream.  The beauty of the scenery betrayed the goriness of war that was about to come!

Well, I expected The Tree of Life to be just as slow but I didn't expect it to be this ambitious!  It was like I was listening to a lecture on philosophy and then somebody converted the lecture into a movie!  The dialogue in this movie is very sparse - and there is no plot that moves it.  We were actually just watching the family of Brad Pitt's character and how his eldest son related to him.  There were three scenes in the movie which I can relate to because we also used to do it when we were kids.  First was the boxing scene.  Papa made us box when we were kids.  I still remember having to wear the red gloves for it!  Second was that scene where they played with the cans as telephones!  That was cool!  Finally, that scene where the kids run to their father when he comes from work or on a trip reminds me so much of Papa also!

Well, this movie is not for everyone.  If you are not patient and is not accustomed to watch nonlinear movies, steer clear of this movie.  Otherwise, bring a tall espresso so you won't miss a thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment