Do you need help with your thesis, research proposal or dissertation?

Let us help YOU!

Contact us thru:
Whatsapp WeChat
Link Viber
+639150423051

or email us at
ivythesis@gmail.com

Friday, December 20, 2013

Reading Outside Your Comfort Zone

A holiday blind date with books

If you love reading books, I do recommend you get out of your comfort zones from time to time and read books which are not usually your cup of tea. A decade ago, after Larry McMurtry won an Oscar for writing 'Brokeback Mountain', I discovered that he was also a novelist and had some books available at my favorite bookstore. They were about cowboys and Indians and life in America's Wild West - a topic that I usually shun. 

Even then, because of his Oscar pedigree, maybe, just maybe, he could also be a good novelist. I started with 'Loop Group' which was about life in LA, another place I'm not interested in because it's featured so much in many Hollywood films. Much to my amazement, I really enjoyed the book and all the strange and unique characters there and I have never seen LA the same way McMurtry wrote about it! So now, everytime I see a Larry McMurtry novel in the bookstore, I immediately buy it! The next book of his that I read was 'Telegraph Days' and it was Indians and cowboys and I really had a lot of fun reading it! And I thought I'd get bored reading about cowboys!

No comments:

Post a Comment