Do you need help with your thesis, research proposal or dissertation?

Let us help YOU!

Contact us thru:
Whatsapp WeChat
Link Viber
+639150423051

or email us at
ivythesis@gmail.com

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Book Review: Ben Elton's Blast From the Past

When I buy second hand books at Book Sale, I normally just base it on my meagre knowledge of today's hip authors or if it has a flashy front cover or not. 

This one fit the latter. 

I can't believe I bought this book for only 10 pesos! Ben Elton turned out to be one of my favorite British comedians who was in and wrote for Blackadder - one of the earlier comedies that Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean) was in.

This book is not a comedy though. It has only two main characters and around four secondary characters. I think half of the book happens in one area only, so this could either be a good play to adopt or something an indie outfit can film.

The first part was interesting enough and I got kinda bored in the middle but events escalate into a dramatic ending. When I reached 2/3ds of the book, I couldn't put it down anymore!

I liked the book because I never expected the ending to end that way! I was very surprised at how things ended and pleased of course, mainly because even if unpleasant things happen towards the end, there is hope for a better future for the lead protagonist, Polly in the end.

I see that Mr. Elton has written other books so if I do find some of them in the bargain bin, they're definitely going to be part of my collection. It would need a clever writer for me to be at least interested in Jack, the overly ambitious lead military character in the book.

As I was reading this book, my imagination had the following actors playing the scenes in my head, di ba for extra fun!

Jack - Russell Crowe
Polly - Kate Beckinsale
Peter - Benedict Cumberbatch
Harry - Gerard Butler
Peter's Mom - Brenda Blethyn

No comments:

Post a Comment