Do you need help with your thesis, research proposal or dissertation?

Let us help YOU!

Contact us thru:
Whatsapp WeChat
Link Viber
+639150423051

or email us at
ivythesis@gmail.com

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Remembering My West End Wicked!

There is a bit of spoiler alert here so if you've not yet seen Wicked, wag mo na lang basahin, dyahe naman sayo.  Otherwise, read on.....

I was very tired and sleepy the first time I watched Wicked. It was the finals of the women's singles which Amelie Mauresmo won and I was very happy that day but very nog-nog from all the sun exposure and fatigued from all the walking and queueing which are de rigueur when you watch Wimbledon.

Wimbledon is very far from Leicester Square and it would require me to take a bus and then ride the tube to Paddington station and make sure I'm in the right station that goes to Leicester Square!  I have made mistakes before and it's a waste of 30 minutes to an hour if one is shonga and rides in the wrong station.  And the walking is grabe!  You have to remember that I drive in Manila so the longest walk I ever have is from the parking lot to my gym!

So my feet were sore, my face was so sunog na and I'm sure I smelled of the sun when I got to HMV Leicester Square around 6:30PM.  We usually choose HMV or the McDo there kasi we can either eat or browse for music while waiting for whoever we are waiting for.

During our quick McDo dinner, Vic said "We are watching Wicked tonight".  And I said, "Ohhhh the witches' play!  I hope I don't sleep and doze off."  Vic was very lucky to see the play in 2003 pa in Broadway, when it came out and he saw that flying scene without knowing about it kaya he was really impressed!  We usually watch one play or musical when we're in London kasi one is spoiled for choice and it's a way to meet Hollywood stars din, if one is lucky enough.

One technique din in West End is you can buy the nearest ticket to the stage kasi their prices are not as expensive because your head level is almost near the feet of the actors!  Medyo comedy but at least malapit ka di ba?

Yun lang, you have to look up if you want to see scenes which fly!  And anyone who has seen Wicked knows there is a flying scene so I remember I was really looking up for that scene and I was very impressed kasi she was still singing and moving her hands and broom, while she was up there!!

Also, bigla siyang umakyat and although I knew it already at that time, it was still breathtaking to watch.  Last night, it was not as breathtaking kasi nasa balcony kami e! But when you're down there, parang antaas ng nilipad niya!

I kinda dozed off after they sang Thank Goodness and woke up na when they were doing For Good.  Also, since I don't know anything about the Wizard of Oz, I could not connect the witch to the scarecrow and the tin man, at that time.  Oh well, wiz na ako paki kasi the songs were memorable naman.

Also, the actress there who did Kristen Chenoweth's original role was also as good as the actress who did it here!  Kuhang kuha talaga, all the giggles and the kabobahan - I remember talaga na she was such a riot!  Yun lang her only problem was the witch HAD to sing Defying Gravity - and that was the torch song for this play.

I remember Wicked very well kasi when I flew back to Hong Kong and had this date with this handsome theater director, I was always humming to Defying Gravity - and he was so amused!

No comments:

Post a Comment