Do you need help with your thesis, research proposal or dissertation?

Let us help YOU!

Contact us thru:
Whatsapp WeChat
Link Viber
+639150423051

or email us at
ivythesis@gmail.com

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Theatre Review: Atlantis' Production's Next to Normal is Gut-Wrenching and Superbly Performed



The themes of the musical Next to Normal are quite dark and depressing and frankly, it is a subject which is a bit alien to me right now - although, I was also there in that place about twenty years ago - so watching it was a bit difficult. 

However, the performances were all superb and topnotch, I could even daresay that we are much better than the ones who originated the roles (but don't tell the Broadway producers!)  Jett Pangan and his voice is a true gift from God!  (I am not worthy, I am not worthy!!)  I was in the front seat and I could see how he sings very effortlessly and he acts along with it too.  He has a poignant scene in the very end (with the equally fabulous Felix Rivera) and this is the first time that two men in a scene - almost made me cry!! I was just really holding back because I was in front and I was too embarrassed but a lone tear did roll down my right eye!  It's a very emotional scene because the transition from focusing on Menchu Lauchengco's character to Jett's was too drastic and sudden for me and that scene was really moving!

Menchu does most of the emotional scenes here so I think she should be very tired after every performance.  She didn't hold back today.  She's such a joy to watch since you can see the emotions etched on her own face as she's trying to grapple with the maelstrom of feelings that someone coping with depression feels.

Bea Garcia is cute and she has a wonderful voice.  She plays Natalie, the daughter, trying to cope with her Mom's depression.  She's definitely one of the best young actresses in theater that I've seen lately.  And she can act too!

I did review Felix's performance in my other blog - and so with Markki!  Just go to fabe-lous.blogspot.com.

Well, we all have been to a dark place at least at one point in our lives.  What we see in this musical are people coping with a loss so tragic, we wouldn't want to wish it on our enemies.  It does end positively though - for what is life without hope to extinguish the darkness!

No comments:

Post a Comment