Do you need help with your thesis, research proposal or dissertation?

Let us help YOU!

Contact us thru:
Whatsapp WeChat
Link Viber
+639150423051

or email us at
ivythesis@gmail.com

Thursday, June 23, 2011

FATHER’S DAY MEMOIR



            Why is it that when you know that it is most likely the last time a person will celebrate an event with you, you make it as memorable as you can? Why not celebrate every occasion, or better yet, expend every effort you can in making every event a memorable one? As my favorite niece always says, “you never know”.
            Yes, indeed, we will never know if we will still be here tomorrow to celebrate another event. If we are here, are we still able to celebrate? Will we still have the means to celebrate the occasion?
Celebrating is not spending too much money. In fact, the most memorable Father’s Day celebration was the cheapest because the event was celebrated at home.
Previous celebrations were always done outside his house. We either eat in a restaurant we have not eaten before, mainly Chinese restaurants because he loved Chinese foods, or we have a swimming party. Sometimes, we just go to the mall with Dad and shop things for him. It was almost as if it has become, not necessarily routine, but because we do not want him to feel left out, or to feel self-pity. .
That last time we did it because we wanted to say and to let him feel that he is very much valued and important to us, and that we love him so much. We wanted to tell him that here is your family loving you back, the family that you protected and loved totally, and worked very hard for, the family that you were always proud of.
 That time, my father can no longer go out of the house. It was even an effort for him to go out of his bedroom. Yet, he made the extreme effort of going out to the dining room if only to blow the candles on his Father’s Day cake that was bought by all his grandchildren after pooling their allowances. Even the little kids contributed whatever remained of their meager allowances just so it can be said that they also contributed to grandfather’s Father’s Day cake.
            All his grandchildren gathered around him and sang him a Father’s Day song to the music of the song, Happy Birthday. Then they kissed their grandfather and all wished him to get well soon and to play with them again. After a while, he asked to be brought back to his bedroom because he wanted to lie down again and rest.
            Four months after the celebration, he passed away. Even if we knew already that his illness is no longer curable – he had to undergo peritoneal dialysis three times a day – and the medical doctors said that  living for nearly three years after the kidneys has stopped functioning is almost a miracle at his age, it still served as a shock for us. We were still not prepared.  Nor will we ever be prepared.
His last words the night before he died were uttered to me. He told me to take care.  How my sister envied me because it was only when I was at his side that he opened his eyes and told me to take care.
            How I cried when after the funeral, I opened his wallet and the first thing that I saw was my picture with him taken when we were in Tagaytay. It was in the very prominent part of his wallet. My mom’s picture was only second in prominence.  That time I knew and confirmed that I am the most loved and his favorite.
            Last Sunday, Father’s Day, we went to Manila Memorial Park in Cavite to visit him in his resting place. While praying the rosary, I cannot help but reminisce about the wonderful things we did together.
 He would sometimes surprise me by visiting  me at school when I was still in elementary. He would buy me things I like in the canteen and at the bookstore. He would even ask permission from the principal to take me out for lunch so we can eat at Victoria Peak.
            Every Friday or Saturday afternoon, he would take my brother and I to a restaurant near our house called Merienda Corner and treat us to hamburgers and egg pie. Then he would take us to a grocery and buy what we want and need.
            How I wish I can bring back my father.   

No comments:

Post a Comment